History of Wiener Privatklinik
1871: WOMEN’S MEDICAL INSTITUTION OF SANATORIUM LÖW
The name Dr. Anton Löw is inextricably linked with the history of the Wiener Privatklinik. Dr. Löw was born in 1847 in Bratislava. He received his doctorate in medicine in 1872. Dr. Löw was an exceptionally successful physician both at Sanatorium Löw and other hospitals such as Purkersdorf near Vienna, as well as Mariannengasse.
1929: D. CANNING CHILDS FOUNDATION
On September 19, 1929, prestigious American foundation, S. Canning Childs, acquired the “Women’s Medical Institution of Sanatoriums Löw.” The sanatorium was knowns throughout the monarchy as a modern maternity hospital. The first director of the sanatorium was Dr. Alfred Edelmann. The creator of the foundation was known as Mister Childs, a Jewish gentleman of Polish origin, whose real family name was Kindermann, but who changed it to Childs as he emigrated to the United States of America. It is said that Mister Childs met Dr. Edelmann at spa in Karlovy Vary, and was so impressed with the doctor, he offered him a directorial position at his hospital. The primary focus of the new hospital were surgery, internal medicine, and urology.
1987: FIRST KIDNEY TRANSPLANT AT A VIENNESE PRIVATE HOSPITAL
A major milestone in the history of our hospital’s surgical wing was a kidney transplant in 1987; the first ever in a private hospital in Vienna.
In 1987 the building was completely renovated and has, since then, belonged to the most exclusive private clinics in Europe.
SINCE 1995: WIENER PRIVATKLINIK OPERATIONS-GES.M.B.H. & CO.KG
Since 1995, Acting as an operating company of the Wiener Privatklinik, Betriebs-Ges.m.b.H. &Amp; Co.KG under the leadership of Prim. Dr. Walter EBM and KommR Dipl.KH-Bw. Robert Nikolaus Winkler, MBA.
2005: EXPANSION OF WIENER PRIVATKLINIK
With the extension of the house on two parts of the building, WPK reaffirms its position as one of the leading private hospitals in Vienna. The new south wing of the hospital offers state of the art facilities, new opportunities in diagnostics, and best medical and nursing care for our patients in a stylish atmosphere.
2005: LAUNCHING OF THE SENIOR CENTER, LIECHTENSTEIN
Commissioned by the Liechtenstein Castle’s senior center, the WPK group expanded its business into the field of care and rehabilitation.
2006: ANGIOGRAPHY SYSTEM ALLOWS FOR MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY TO THE HEART AND BLOOD VESSELS
Since 2006, WPK’s imaging ordination has had the most modern angiography systems in all of Vienna. Narrowed coronary vessels, and all other vessels can be diagnosed eliminated at the same time.
2009: MRI AT THE X-RAY CENTER AT WPK
Since 2009, the imaging ordination at WPK offers, in addition to classic radiological services, and the multi-slice computer tomography, MRI studies as well.
This is to ensure that patients at WPK get the full range of diagnostic analysis under one roof.
2010: UNIV. PROF. DR. RAINER KOTZ, IS NAMED NEW MEDICAL DIRECTOR
After 15 years as medical director of the WPK, Univ.-Prof. Dr. Hanno Millesi hands over the helm to Univ.-Prof. Dr. Rainer Kotz. Prof. Millesi, internationally renowned for his research work, as well as his commitment to both doctors and patients throughout his career has advanced the WPK to new heights, as a medical center with superior quality standards. Prof. Millesi will continue at the helm of the “Millesi Center” at the WPK, and will remain dedicated to a number of scientific endeavors.
2010: MR MAMMOGRAPHY – MODERN DIAGNOSTICS FOR BREAST HEALTH
Since September 2010, WPK has been offering MR mammography in addition to mammography and ultrasound to patients seeking comprehensive breast health diagnostics.
2014: THE HEALTH SERVICE CENTER
The Health Service Center opens its doors, marking yet another milestone for the WPK. The state of the art health facility is directly connected to the WPK through a short passage.
The Health Service Center houses an imaging center with MRI and CT, an appointment center, 20 consultation rooms, a prosthetist, offices, and the WPK administration.
2020: UNIV.-PROF. DR. CHRISTOPH ZIELINSKI IS NAMED NEW MEDICAL DIRECTOR
04.05.2020: Univ. Prof. Dr. Dr.h.c. Christoph Zielinski is the new Medical Director of Wiener Privatklinik.
After 10 years at the front line at Wiener Privatklinik, the medical director, o. Univ. Prof. Dr. Rainer Kotz, retires from this function and continues to concentrate entirely on the medical field.
He has been Medical Director of Wiener Privatklinik since 2010 and was one of the most important members in the development of Wiener Privatklinik.